The UH/HCC Engineering Academy program is a unique transition program between the University of Houston (UH) and Houston Community College (HCC). Unlike traditional transfer programs, students admitted into the engineering academy are University of Houston Cullen College of Engineering students from day one.
Students are co-enrolled between the University of Houston and Houston Community College. Students take their core curriculum courses through HCC while taking engineering courses from UH Cullen College of Engineering faculty at the University of Houston at Katy.
After one or two years, students transition to the UH main campus to complete their bachelor’s degrees in civil, electrical, computer, industrial or mechanical engineering.
There are two points of entry to the UH/HCC Engineering Academy:
- High School graduates and current college level students may apply through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application on the HCC engineering website.
- Students who have been admitted to UH in a non-engineering major but would like to pursue an alternate degree path for a four-year engineering degree may also choose to apply to the Engineering Academy through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application.
Benefits of the UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Houston Community College include:
- Being co-enrolled at UH and HCC. While enrolled in the Engineering Academy, all engineering courses will be taken at UH at Katy. All math, science and other core curriculum courses are taken through HCC at the Katy campus;
- Small student-faculty ratios in cohort math and science courses, which builds a strong foundation in engineering;
- Opportunities to participate in student activities and organizations at both institutions to the fullest extent possible, including resources and amenities at the University of Houston main campus, which is just a 30 minute drive from the University of Houston at Katy;
- Significant financial savings –Engineering Academy students are charged tuition and fees by the institution through which each course is offered.
- Automatic admission to their first choice engineering major at the end of the second year for Engineering Academy students who earn a minimum 3.25 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at both HCC and UH and complete the required coursework. The process of how CGPA is calculated is detailed below in the GPA Calculation section.