Graduate Programs Admissions
- Please be sure to review your department’s website for additional admissions requirements.
- Complete an online application. The application fee is $25.00 for U.S. applications. If the applicant will be on an F-1 or J-1 visa or has any foreign documents, especially a transcript, the application fee is $75.00. You are required to pay your application fee via your Online Application with a major credit or debit card. Application fees are not refundable.
Scanned copies of official transcripts must be uploaded to your online application. If admitted, one official transcript from each institution attended (with degrees posted) must be sent to the Graduate School at the address below before you will be allowed to enroll in classes. Applicants may find it easier to send documents to the Express Mail Address if they are not able to mail documents to a P.O. Box from abroad locations.
Regular Mail Address
University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, Texas 77253-3947
Express Mail Address
University of Houston
4302 University Dr., Rm 102
Houston, Texas 77204-2012
- Three letters of reference should be provided as part of the application package. These letters should be from professors or employment supervisors on company stationery or on forms provided by the department of your intended major. At least one letter should be from a former professor.
Official GRE test scores, as well as official TOEFL or IELTS test scores if required, must be submitted to the University of Houston (school code 6870) from the Educational Testing Service. We encourage applicants to also upload scanned copies of score reports to expedite the application process.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
The minimum TOEFL score required is 79 for the internet-based test, with a minimum writing score of 20. The minimum TOEFL score for the paper-based exam is 550, with a minimum writing score of 58.
IELTS (International English Language Testing Service)
The minimum IELTS score required is an overall score of a 6.5, with a minimum writing score of 6.5. The testing agency should mail the official results directly to the University of Houston at the address below. We are unable to accept electronic submission of IELTS scores.
University of Houston
4302 University Dr., Rm. 102
Houston, TX 77204-2012
- University of Houston
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- International applicants should review the Graduate School’s policies regarding International Transcripts and English Language Proficiency.
Students are sometimes admitted conditionally for one or more of the following reasons:
- Official GRE/TOEFL scores not submitted/not acceptable/not taken
- GPA for Undergraduate degree or Last 60 hours below 3.0
- Official test scores must be provided during the first semester of enrollment. Otherwise, a stop will be placed on future enrollment. Conditionally admitted students are required to complete the first 12 graduate hours at UH with 3.0/4.0 average.
- If you are a full-time student, conditional admission must be changed to unconditional admission by no later than the end of your first year of enrollment. If you are a part-time student, conditional admission must be changed to unconditional admission at the completion of the first 12 hours of graduate credit.
- Contact your departmental Graduate Advisor to change the conditional admission status to unconditional admission status upon completing all conditional admission requirements during the time period.
- The student's major department will place an enrollment stop on a student who has not met admissions requirements or other enrollment requirements within the time period. Not meeting the conditions of your admission could lead to termination from the graduate program.
- If leveling courses are required for admission, then the leveling courses must be completed prior to taking graduate courses. Leveling courses must be completed with a minimum grade of B. Leveling courses cannot be counted as graduate credit toward your degree.
- If you are approved for graduate admission for a given semester and do not enroll, you must contact your departmental Graduate Advisor in order to update your application. If you do not enroll for one year after your initial approval for admissions, then you must re-apply with a new application, new application fee, new transcripts, and new letters of recommendation. Inactive files of admitted, but never enrolled, students are kept for only one year before being discarded.