Cumulative Grade Point Average
The cumulative grade point average is based upon all work taken at the University of Houston, including courses that are repeated, for which grade points values are assigned. A repeated course, including courses repeated during a summer session, is equivalent to a new course both in determining classification and in computing the cumulative grade point average.
To qualify for this recognition, students must earn a 3.5 minimum grade point average on 12 or more semester hours completed during the Fall or Spring semesters. The grade of "S" is not counted. Students who earn a grade of "I" (except in a senior honors thesis course), "D", "F", or "U" during the semester are excluded from the Dean's List.
The grade of "I", which is conditional and temporary, may be awarded when a student is passing a course but for non-academic reasons has not completed a relatively small portion of the requirements. The procedure for having an "I'" grade awarded are:
- The instructor, using the Incomplete Grade Agreement form (available in major department), must prepare a "Statement of Conditions," and indicate a time schedule to be met by the student.
- The student must contact the instructor as soon as possible to sign the agreement form.
- Failing to complete the requirements will cause the "I" to automatically change to an "F" within one year of the date when the "I" was awarded.
- The grade of "I" may not be changed to a grade of W, but may only be changed to another letter grade.
- Students should not reregister for courses in which they previously received an "I" grade; this will not result in removal of the "I".
- After the course work is completed, the instructor must submit a change-of-grade form to change the "I" grade to the grade earned.
Grades of "I " are not assigned grade point values and are not used in the computation of the grade point average. A change of grade from "I" will affect the cumulative GPA only in the semester in which the "I" is changed and thereafter.
Academic Notice, Probation, and Suspension
The cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) is based on all hours attempted at UH, including courses that are repeated. Academic action taken at the end of each semester or summer session is based on the total UH record.
Academic Notice and Probation
Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the close of that semester or summer session. Freshmen with fewer than 15 hours attempted will be placed on Academic Notice.
Students on Academic Notice are not on Academic Probation and will not be automatically suspended. Students on Academic Notice must be advised by the University Studies Division/Academic Advising Center and their major department.
Students on academic probation whose semester or summer session GPA is below 2.00 are placed on academic suspension at the close of that semester or summer session.
Students who have been suspended must petition for readmission through the Engineering Dean's Office. Written guidelines for this process are available in the Engineering Dean's Office. Once a student is approved for readmission from academic suspension a "Readmissions Contract" is prepared in the Engineering Dean's Office for the signature of the student and the Undergraduate Associate Dean for the College of Engineering. Contracts are monitored by the Engineering Dean's Office at the end of each semester. Any violation of the contract will result in having a stop (preventing future enrollment) placed on the student.
The Undergraduate Associate Dean may place on academic probation, retain on probation, or suspend a student whose academic records are deficient. The Undergraduate Associate Dean also may remove from academic probation or academic suspension any student whose academic progress warrants such action.