Each department has an individual cost center for the applicable program code.
For the fall, all hire dates/effective dates should be 9/1/XX.
Fall Only appointment
- Terminate on 1/16/XX.
- Fall and Spring Appointment information must be listed in ePAR comments and approved on the Non Tenure Track Reappointment form.
- Terminate on 6/1/XX – SWB will be created when ePAR is processed.
If you need to create a new position number, please submit an ePRF.
Lecturer/Non-Ben (job code 1070):
- Non-tenured track faculty working less than .50 FTE
- Lump Sum position
Lecturer/Ben (job code 1050):
- Non-tenured track faculty working .50 FTE or above
- Not a lump sum position.
- If a lecturer is reappointed to the same benefits eligible title, please make keep them in the same position number. It is always best to leave a benefits eligible employee in the same position number when possible.
Faculty Retiree (job code 1320)
Faculty who have either fully or semi-retired (VMOE) from a tenured track position.
VMOE – Submit ePAR with copy of contract. No offer letter.
- Charge to department faculty salary cost center
Non-VMOE – Submit faculty folder. Requires an offer letter.
- Charge to Instructional Salary
- VMOE – Submit ePAR with copy of contract. No offer letter.
- Faculty who have either fully or semi-retired (VMOE) from a tenured track position.
- Not a lump sum position/Benefits eligible
- Usually appointed for the academic year, can be up to a 3 year appointment.
- Requires 3 letters of recommendation for initial appointment
- New Appointments will need to be processed through Faculty OJS
- Reappointments will be processed on Faculty Reappointment Agreement
- Should be a short term appointment
- Not a Lump Sum/Benefits eligible
Teaching overload for faculty
- Use the Temporary Faculty (Job code 1140) position.
Teaching overload for staff
Staff with 1.0 assignment
- Temporary Faculty
Staff with less than 1.0
- Lecturer/Ben position if the combined position places them in a benefits eligible status (FTE >.50)
- Lecturer/Non-Ben position if the FTE is less than .50 combined for 4.5 months
- Staff with 1.0 assignment
Additional Assignments paid during the fall or spring – Must include request for additional compensation, except for department chair stipends.
- Admin/Chair Stipend
- Use Temporary Faculty (1140)
- Use Endowed Chair Stipend (1041)
- Use Endowed Professor Stipend (1074)
- FTE will be calculated based on the standard hours table listed in the UH Annual Budget
Fall or Spring Semester Standard Work Hours per Week for Part Time Faculty
|Semester Credit Hrs||Standard Work Hours per Week||Term FTE*||Annualized FTE**|
|Lecturer (Category I)||1||2.7||0.07||0.02|
- Overloads – Use 1 standard hours and .03FTE
- Fall – For New Hires/ Rehires
- Faculty Overload – For any faculty assignments above 1.00 FTE
- 9 pay 9 – Use for faculty who are appointed in the fall and will also teach in the spring. Offer letter and/or contract will be fall and spring semesters.
- 9 pay 12 – Used for tenure, tenure track, instructional and clinical. Must include pay option form. Faculty Pay Options Form http://www.uh.edu/provost/fac/fac-guidelines-docs-forms/hiring-employment/_fac-hiring-documents/pay-opt_jun08.pdf
Required PAR Comments
- Course information including course number & section
- List any additional duties include in their faculty assignment (i.e. coordinating, undergraduate advising, etc)
- Cost center
- Designate if it is an unmet demand, distance education or weekend university course
- Semester salary
Pay Option forms (Instructional)
Pursuant to IRS Code Section 409A, pay options must be selected and submitted prior to the 1st day of classes of the effective year. Non-tenure track faculty members receive a terminal appointment each year. Since the appointment does not automatically renew, a new Faculty Pay Options form must be completed and submitted with the reappointment documents if the faculty member wishes to receive the academic year salary over a period of twelve months (9 pay 12, 10 pay 12, or 11 pay 12.) If the form is not submitted, the salary will revert to the regular academic salary (9 pay 9, 10 pay 10, or 11 pay 11.)
Non Tenure Track Faculty Employment acceptance form
The Non-tenure Track Faculty Employment Acceptance Form includes a U. S. Dept. of Education certification. This document with all non-tenure track faculty appointments.
Offer letters will only be sent to the new appointments. The letters will be scanned and emailed to the faculty member and to the Department Business Administrator. A hard copy will also be mailed to the address provided on the coversheet.
Offer letters can be sent out without transcripts, CVs and faculty employment acceptance forms. However, Faculty Folders cannot be submitted to the Provost Office without these documents.
The scanned letters can also be printed and signed by the faculty member
You can track ePAR status using the following queries.
HRMS_EPAR_PENDING_BY_DEPT - will show pending ePARs by Dept/Coll/Div
HRMS_EPAR_PROCESSED_BY_DEPT – will show executed ePARs by Dept/Coll/Div
HRMS_EFORM_BY_EMPLID – ePARs for an employee
Please check the payroll calendar to confirm biweekly and monthly payroll dates. HR will also list the deadlines for the non-faculty appointments on the payroll calendar.
The payroll calendar is located on the Admin and Finance website.
Check for outstanding debt to the University before submitting the ePARs.
Faculty folders submitted after the deadline must include a letter to the Dean explaining why the faculty folder was submitted after the deadline.