Spring 2021 Commencement
Saturday, May 15
If you have questions about University of Houston commencement, please email director [at] uh.edu.
Commencement Contact at the Cullen College of Engineering
- Sandra Sierra, ssierra2 [at] central.uh.edu, 713-743-1045
- Undergraduate students may contact Kelly Schulz in call 832-842-4840
- Graduate students may contact Miranda Vernon-Harrison, mavernon-harrison [at] uh.edu in Room E421-D3 or call 713-743-3395
Important Dates and Additional Information
Friday, March 5: End of regular filing period to apply online for Spring 2021 graduation with non-refundable $25 fee. Go to myUH (Peoplesoft) to apply.
Friday, March 26: End of late filing period to apply online for Spring 2021 graduation with non-refundable $50 fee. Go to myUH (Peoplesoft) to apply.
PhD Dissertation and Master Thesis students must submit your first draft for review two weeks before you defend or at the latest by Wednesday, May 5 to Miranda Vernon-Harrison by electronic submission at mavernon-harrison [at] uh.edu. Graduation candidates must successfully defend the thesis/dissertation by Wednesday, May 19th. After being approved by Miranda Vernon-Harrison, your thesis or dissertation must be submitted for binding to her by Wednesday, May 26.
Caps and Gowns
Graduation regalia may be ordered directly from Herff-Jones online at herff.ly/uh.
- Last day to order online is April 18th
- Orders will be shipped to the student
- Shipping fees do apply. Bach/Master sets shipping is $7.95. Doctoral Rental sets shipping is $12.95 as it will include a return label for the gowns.
- Late orders will have a higher cost due to express shipping
- Can be shipped internationally, for an additional cost.
- In the event that the spring ceremonies are virtual, regalia is not required.
The bookstore does not have regalia in store, exceptions, a la carte items: hoods, tassels and caps for those that do not want to purchase a full set.
If you have any further questions please send an email to: campusstore [at] uh.edu.
- Class Rings: Meet representatives to discuss the Official University of Houston Ring. Free Kendra Scott Necklace with your $150+ Ring purchase. Shop online at balfour.com.
- Grad Images: Stop by the photo booth for a quick photo session. No sitting fee or obligation to purchase. Proofs are sent via both mail and email.
- Diploma Frames: Students can order diploma frames online to be shipped to them
Cougar Spirit Cord
Undergraduate Students: Graduating with Academic Honors
Academic honor is determined upon final completion of all degree requirements.
Undergraduate students who complete their degree requirements under catalogs beginning in Fall 2010 will graduate with the stated academic honors if they achieve the following grade point averages earned in the last fifty-four (54) hours (all of which must be A, B, C,… letter grade courses) completed at the University of Houston. Grades of S, U, I and W are not assigned grade point values and are not used in the computation of the grade point average. (See Catalog for Honors.)
|3.90 to 4.0||Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors)|
|3.70 to 3.89||Magna Cum Laude (with high honors)|
|3.50 to 3.69||Cum Laude (with honors)|
Further, the honors calculation will include all hours completed in the semester in which the first of those final fifty-four (54) hours was completed.
Undergraduate Students: Walking with Academic Honors at University Commencement
For the graduation ceremony, the final semester is not factored into the calculation because final semester grades are not completely posted until after the ceremony.
Honors announced during the graduation ceremony are calculated using the last 54 hours less the number of hours taken in the final semester.
After the graduation ceremony and when final semester grades are fully posted then honors eligibility is recalculated using the final 54 hours. This will then be the official honors if any that will be listed on the transcript and diploma.
Unless privacy protected, all student names will be included in the Commencement Program regardless of participation. Every effort is made to include the names of all official graduates in the printed Commencement Program. We also will include any honors earned by the student. However, please be aware that the program is not an official document with regard to eligibility for graduation or any honors conferred. Inclusion of a name in the program is not a guarantee of graduation or honors.
Degrees will not be posted to transcript until the college checks your Spring 2021 grades.
Allow about 6 to 8 weeks from Saturday, May 15 for Spring 2021 grades to be checked, degrees to post to transcripts and diplomas to be mailed.