Skip to main content
Undergraduate Academic Policies
Transfer Credit

College of Engineering students seeking credit in engineering courses at a university or college outside of the University of Houston must receive written approval prior to enrollment. The deadlines for each semester are as follows:

  • Spring: December 1
  • Summer: May 1
  • Fall: August 1

Upon written approval, a student may transfer credit from another institution while attending this university if he /she adheres to the following criteria:

  • An official transcript must be submitted to the Admissions Office for evaluation after completing courses at other institutions of higher education. In addition, receiving credit for some courses requires additional information to be provided by the student. Contact the Engineering Dean's Office to pursue credit in these cases.
  • By university regulations, a maximum of 66 semester hours of freshman and sophomore level course work (C- or better) will be applied toward a bachelor's degree. If a student has more than 66 freshman and sophomore level hours, the departmental advisor and dean for the student's major will determine which hours will be applied to the U of H degree.
  • Any grade earned that is below C- is not transferable or applicable towards degree requirements (unless "core complete"). In addition, the "C-" is required for any mathematics, science, or engineering course to be used as a prerequisite for a subsequent course at the University of Houston.
  • The last 30 hours of any degree must be completed in residence on this campus. These 30 hours must be courses that count toward the bachelors degree.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of engineering courses in residence at the University of Houston.

Some departments may have additional rules; please consult with the departmental advisor.

Veterans can receive transfer credit for MSCI courses by submitting a general petition form and their DD214 form to the Office of Admissions.