The Cullen College of Engineering is proud to announce that 21 undergraduate students have been selected for the University of Houston's Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF), according to the Honors College.
The program provides funding for rising UH sophomores, juniors and seniors to participate in a focused, full-time, 10-week research experience from June through August under the direction of a faculty member. SURF is only open to undergraduates, and students who previously participated in SURF are not allowed to apply again, as the focus is on providing opportunities for first-time research.
SURF provides a $4,000 scholarship to participating students. Participating students also attend the weekly Brown Bag Lecture series, and present a research poster at Undergraduate Research Day, currently scheduled for April 2022.
The following Cullen College of Engineering students, listed in alphabetical order, have been picked for SURF:
- Syed Ali Hamza Abidi, studying Computer Engineering with Andreas Mang.
- Anaga Ajoy, studying Biomedical Engineerin with Pranav Parikh.
- Edward Armijo, studying Chemical Engineering with Alamgir Karim.
- Cody Betzner, studying Electrical Engineering with Xiaonon Shan.
- Ana Cenobio, studying Mechanical Engineering with Yi-chao Chen.
- Colin Copeland, studying Petroleum Engineering with Dimitrios Georgios Hatzignatiou.
- Akash Doshi, studying Civil Engineering with Yi-Lung Mo.
- Casey Freeman, studying Chemical Engineering with Lars Grabow.
- Daniel Johns, studying Mechanical Engineering with Douglas Erwing.
- John Liu, studying Mechanical Engineering with Aaron Becker.
- Anastasia Martinez, studying Chemical Engineering with Jacinta Conrad.
- Dorothy Mwakina, studying Biomedical Engineering with Yingchun Zhang.
- Khoa Nguyen, studying Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering with Jeffrey Rimer.
- Hoang Nguyen, studying Mechanical Engineering with Shailendra Joshi.
- Denis Nyarwaya, studying Mechanical Engineering, Cunjiang Yu.
- Jacob Pakula, studying Petroleum Engineering, with Dimitrios Hatzignatiou.
- Aadarshi Patel , studying Chemical Engineering, with Nikolaos Malamataris.
- Thi Phan, studying Industrial Engineering with Ali Kamrani.
- Jocelyn Ramos, studying Mechanical Engineering with Aaron Becker.
- Nivriti Sabhnani, studying Biomedical Engineering with Jose Contreras-Vidal.
- Lujayna Taha, studying Electrical Engineering with Jose Contreras-Vidal.