Cullen announces 8 promotions for Fall 2022
July 14, 2022
The Cullen College of Engineering is happy to announce that the following eight members of the faculty have been promoted for the 2022-23 academic year.
All promotions take effect as of Sept. 1, 2022. This listing is alphabetical by department, and then, by last name.
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering: Patrick C. Cirino has been promoted from Associate Professor to Professor. Cirino also has joint appointments in Biomedical Engineering and Biology & Biochemistry. Cirino joined the college in 2011, after teaching at Penn State. He earned his doctorate at the California Institute of Technology.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering: Hien Van Nguyen has been promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor. He is also a senior member of the National Academy of Inventors, and joined the college in 2016. He earned his doctorate at the University of Maryland.
- Industrial Engineering: Yaping Wang has been promoted from Instructional Assistant Professor to Instructional Associate Professor. She is also the Director of the Industrial Engineering Undergraduate Program. She earned her doctorate from Texas A&M, and joined the college in 2016.
- Mechanical Engineering: Theocharis Baxevanis has been promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor. He earned his doctorate from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece, and joined UH in 2016.
- Mechanical Engineering: Shailendra Joshi has been promoted from Bill D. Cook Assistant Professor to Bill D. Cook Associate Professor. He joined the college in 2018 after previously teaching at the National University of Singapore. He earned his doctorate from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
- Mechanical Engineering: Holley Love has been promoted from Instructional Assistant Professor to Instructional Associate Professor. She joined the faculty of the college in 2016, following work at the Texas Heart Institute. She earned her doctorate at the University of Houston.
- Petroleum Engineering: Guan Qin has been promoted from Associate Professor to Professor. He is also the Gulf Coast Section of the Society of Petroleum Engineers Endowed Professor. He joined the college in 2012, after teaching at the University of Wyoming, which is also where he earned his doctorate.
- Petroleum Engineering: George K. Wong has been awarded tenure at the Associate Professor rank. Wong joined the college in 2016, after a more than 30-year professional career with Shell. He earned his doctorate from Stanford University.
The College offers its congratulations to these hard-working professionals on earning these distinctions.
Related News Stories
Posted on March 6, 2023
Posted on February 15, 2023
Posted on February 3, 2023