Interested in gaining research experience in engineering?
Spend ten weeks this summer performing research in materials for sustainability in the Cullen College of Engineering at UH — and earn a $5,000 stipend!
The Cullen College of Engineering (CCoE) at the University of Houston will host a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program in the summer of 2017. The program is designed to inspire bright and motivated undergraduates to pursue graduate education and careers in science and engineering research. Participants will work closely with leading materials engineers at CCoE and contribute to ongoing cutting-edge research in materials for sustainability in energy and manufacturing.
For more information on the REU program, click on the links on the top left of each web page.
Basic Application Requirements
- U. S. Citizen or Permanent Resident status
- GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA scale
- Completed application received by March 18, 2017.
- Completed letter of recommendation received by March 18, 2017.
- Current unofficial transcript or transcripts received by March 18, 2017.
In the ten-week REU program:
- Build research laboratory skills.
- Develop written and oral presentation skills.
- Gain training in safety and ethics.
- Establish a professional network.
- Explore social activities in Houston!
Sample research projects:
- Flexible and stretchable batteries
- Smart antifouling coatings to prevent corrosion
- Nanoporous zeolites for advanced catalysis
- Biorenewable polymer resins for infrastructure
- Earth-abundant metal alloys for chemical synthesis
- Electrochemistry for next-generation energy storage
Completed applications will be reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis. We encourage you to send application materials early. Each complete application will be acknowledged via email, and all applicants will be notified in April as to their status.
Students whose home residence is outside the greater Houston area will receive a travel allowance to offset transportation costs. All participants will stay in an on-campus apartment during the program (paid for through the REU program).
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Drs. Haleh Ardebili and Jacinta Conrad // reu2017 [at] egr [dot] uh [dot] edu