UH/HCC Engineering Academy — Guidelines and Requirements
- A UH/HCC Engineering Academy student must enroll in a minimum of 12 total credit hours each fall and spring semester. The 12 credit hours each semester must consist of at least 2-4 credit hours of engineering specific courses offered through UH and taught by Cullen College of Engineering faculty at Katy while the remaining credit hours will be offered through HCC. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- UH/HCC Engineering Academy students will be placed in cohort sections (math, science and engineering) during their UH/HCC Engineering Academy enrollment to enhance academic success.
- A UH/HCC Engineering Academy student may enroll in a total of 6 UH credit hours during the summer and a total of 6 HCC credit hours per summer term. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- A UH/HCC Engineering Academy student who drops or withdraws from a UH engineering course and falls below one credit hour will be withdrawn from UH for that semester, thus forfeiting all UH student privileges for the remainder of the term. Unless otherwise prohibited, this student may continue in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy the subsequent semester.
- A UH/HCC Engineering Academy student must plan their course schedule to ensure completion of the program in a timely manner, as detailed under the ‘Timely Completion’. A UH/HCC Engineering Academy student does not need to apply (upon eligibility) for reverse transfer to receive their Associate Degree from HCC as the process occurs automatically on an annual basis.
- Co-enrollment at both UH and HCC provides enrolled students the option to participate in all student services, student activities, student organizations, etc., to the fullest extent possible at both institutions.
Grade and Credit Requirements
- Courses taken at HCC must align with the curriculum set forth by the UH/HCC Engineering Academy. Courses taken outside of the UH/HCC Engineering Academy curriculum may not be counted toward meeting the minimum required hours.
- Any transferable credits earned through institutions other than HCC or UH prior to entry into the UH/HCC Engineering Academy will count toward the UH/HCC Engineering Academy course requirements per established articulation agreements. Once a student has entered the UH/HCC Engineering Academy, all credits must be earned at UH and HCC if they are to be used to satisfy UH/HCC Engineering Academy completion requirements unless approved by exception. Grades received for coursework taken at another institution will not be included in the HCC or UH GPA calculations. Credit by Examination (AP, CLEP, and/or IB) documentation must be sent by the testing agency to both HCC and UH for credit evaluation.
- Successful and timely completion of the UH/HCC Engineering Academy requires that participants have a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on at least 50 hours of transferable work from HCC and a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on at least 10 credit hours of engineering specific courses from UH (UH courses offered at Katy).
GPA’s will be calculated as per the official catalogs of Houston Community College and the University of Houston.
Students participating in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy must satisfactorily complete the requirements within a period that begins with the fall semester of the year of admission to the UH/HCC Engineering Academy, and ends with the completion of the first summer session following the second year of enrollment in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy. Students must make appropriate progress on passed hours and GPA to remain in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy.
Removal from the UH/HCC Engineering Academy
Official catalog policies for both UH and HCC determine the process by which a student can be removed from the Academy for academic reasons. The UH and HCC Student Codes of Conduct outline the dismissal procedures from the Academy for disciplinary issues.