- An Engineering Academy student must enroll in a minimum of 12 total credit hours each fall and spring semester. The 12 credit hours each semester must consist of at least 2-4 credit hours of engineering specific courses offered through UH and taught by Cullen College of Engineering faculty at Katy while the remaining credit hours will be offered through HCC. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- Engineering Academy students will be placed in cohort sections (math, science and engineering) during their Engineering Academy enrollment to enhance academic success.
- An Engineering Academy student may enroll in a total of 6 UH credit hours during the summer and a total of 6 HCC credit hours per summer term. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- An Engineering Academy student who drops or withdraws from a UH engineering course and falls below one credit hour will be withdrawn from UH for that semester, thus forfeiting all UH student privileges for the remainder of the term. Unless otherwise prohibited, this student may continue in the Engineering Academy the subsequent semester.
- An Engineering Academy student must plan their course schedule to ensure completion of the program in a timely manner, as detailed under the ‘Timely Completion’. An Engineering Academy student must apply (upon eligibility) for reverse transfer to receive their Associate Degree from HCC. The reverse transfer process will be continually reviewed and administratively enhanced by the Cullen College of Engineering to maximize the number of Associate Degrees awarded to Engineering Academy students.
- Dual enrollment at both UH and HCC provides enrolled students the option to participate in all student services, student activities, student organizations, etc., to the fullest extent possible at both institutions.
Grade and Credit Requirements
- Courses taken at HCC must be appropriate for the student’s preferred major at UH. Other courses may not be counted toward meeting the minimum required hours.
- Any transferable credits earned through institutions other than HCC or UH prior to entry into the Engineering Academy will count toward the partner institution credit requirement only. Grades received for these credits will not count toward the HCC GPA requirement. Once a student has entered the Engineering Academy, all credits must be earned at UH and HCC if they are to satisfy Engineering Academy completion requirements. Any Credit by Examination (AP, CLEP, and/or IB) documentation received through UH before the start of the Engineering Academy will be forwarded to HCC for review and acceptance for credit by HCC.
- Successful and timely completion of the Engineering Academy requires that participants have a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on at least 50 hours of transferable work from HCC and a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on at least 10 credit hours of engineering specific courses from UH (UH courses offered at Katy).
A GPA will be calculated as per the Cullen College of Engineering at the University of Houston:
- The hours for which a student receives a grade of “satisfactory” shall not be included in the computation of the student’s semester or cumulative grade point ratio; a grade of “unsatisfactory” shall be included in the computation of the student’s grade points per credit hour as an F. A grade of “satisfactory” will be given only for grades of C and above; a grade of “unsatisfactory” will be given for grades D and F.
- The CGPA is based upon all work taken at the University of Houston, including courses that are repeated, for which grade point values are assigned. A repeated course, including courses repeated during a summer session, is equivalent to a new course both in determining classification and in computing the CGPA.
Students participating in the Engineering Academy must satisfactorily complete the requirements within a period that begins with the fall semester of the year of admission to the Engineering Academy, and ends with the completion of the first summer session following the second year of enrollment in the Engineering Academy. Students must make appropriate progress on passed hours and GPA to remain in the Engineering Academy.
Removal from the Engineering Academy
A student removed from the Engineering Academy for either academic or disciplinary reasons will not be permitted continued enrollment nor guaranteed admission to UH. Continued enrollment at HCC will be at the discretion of HCC.